Regina Uwaoma OBI
Professor (Mrs.) Regina Uwaoma OBI Ph.D is Professor of Industrial Sociology and Labour Relations and former Head, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, University of Benin. Benin-city, Nigeria. She teaches Industrial Sociology; Labour Relations; Government Intervention and Labour Laws; Organisational Analysis and Behaviour; Human Resources Management; Social Stratification; Research Methodologies and Practicum; Community Development; Gender Societal Issues, Theories and Analysis. She initiated and integrated gender into her specialty area of Industrial Sociology and Labour Relations. She also propounded a theory that Labour Relations exists in large scale industries as well as in small scale industries worldwide. This debunks the views of predecessors that Labour Relations exists only in large scale industries. She has travelled far and wide, well exposed for academic pursuit and excellence and published locally, nationally and internationally. Her over fifty journal publications, conferences and seminar presentations as well as textbooks contain analysis of issues in industrial sociology and labour relations within the internal and external environments. Notable among her books are titled "Industrial Sociology and Labour Relations in Nigeria (Revised Edition)”; "Gender and Society”; and “Women in the Steel Industry in Nigeria”. Professor (Mrs.) Obi is a member of several learned associations including Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association; Gender. Science and Technology; International Sociological Association; and International Labour and Employment Relations Association; External Examiner for postgraduate degree programmes, and Editor of several journals within and outside Nigeria. She has won several academic and professional awards. Notable among them are Ph.D Grant Award for Thesis Writing; Distinguished Research and Prize Awards for Gender Issues and Analysis by Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) Dakar. Senegal. Professor (Mrs.) Obi is a FELLOW of the Institute of Policy Management Development (FIPMD); and Advisory Board Member of the Governing Council of the Institute, (IPMD).
OBI, R.U. (1986) “Socio-Economic and Cultural Activities in Ubulenu Village and Onitsha Urban: An Ethnographic Approach” Ivie: Nigerian Journal of Arts and Culture, Vol.1, No3, 36-55.
2.OBI, R.U. (1988) “Alternative Economic Strategy for Nigeria: Indigenous Small-Scale Industries”. IFDA Dosier, Vol.68, November/December, 23-31.
3.OBI, R.U. (1989) “The Role of Indigenous Small-scale Industries in Nigeria’s Economic Development”. Asian and African Studies Vol. 23, No.1, March, 71-96.
4.OBI, R.U. (1990) “Value Transformation and Rural Electrification in Ubulenu. Social Mobilization and Community Development (eds) Ogunna et al. Vol 12 January, 788-797.
5.OBI, R.U. (1991) “Socio-Cultural Explanation of the Phenomenon of Age at First Marriage in Two Communities in East Igbo, Southern Nigeria”. West African Journal of Archaeology Vol. 21, 154-171.
6.OBI, R.U. (1991) “Child Care: Working Mother and Home-Based Baby Nurse in Benin City”. Chapter 29 in Child in Africa, Omep African Regional Congress (ed) Alele-Williams et al. University of Benin Publishers and Press. 208-321.
7.OBI, R.U. (1992) “Theory of Exploitation of Labour: An Application of Meillassoux Model to Women in Modern Industries in Nigeria”. African Journal of Behavioural Sciences. Vol 3, No.1 April/May, 35-52.
8.OBI, R.U. (1992) “Formal Training About Baby Care: Implications on Home-Based Baby Nurse, Mother and the Baby”. The Educational Planner, Vol 3, Nos 1&2, 44-54.
9.OBI, R.U. (1994) “Urban Agriculture: A Study of Small-Scale Farmers in Benin City, Nigeria” Trialog Vol. 43, 40-43.
10OBI, R.U. (1998) “The Agony of Working Women in Nigerian Labour Market” in Journal of the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association, Vol. 1 and 2, 175-188.
11.OBI, R.U. (1998) “National Crisis and Labour Relations in Bendel Brewery”. Journal of Educational System, Research and Development Vol.1, No.3, 59066.
12.OBI, R.U. (1998) “Women’s Participation at Executive Level in Trade Unions in Nigeria 1985-1990” in Africa Development Vol. 23, 163-182.
13.OBI, R.U. (2000) “Policy Issues towards Linking Formal and Informal Science and Technology for Sustainable Development” in Africa Gasat 2000 – Linking Formal and Informal Science for Sustainable Development (eds) GASAT, pp.89-93.
14. OBI, R.U. (2000) “Married Career Women and Migration: The Nigerian Experience” in Journal of the Nigerian Anthropological and Sociological Association, Special Edition 2000, 154-164.
15. OBI, R.U. (2000) “Stress and Conflicts in Organizations” Chapter 9 in Introduction to Industrial Sociology (eds) O.A. Ogunbameru and P.O. Oribabor, Ile-Ife, Obafemi Awolowo University Publishers and Press, pp.138-154.
16. OBI, R.U. (2002) “An Appraisal of Retirement Policy in Nigeria” Benin Journal of Social Sciences Vol. 10 & 11, Nos 1 & 2, June 91-100.
17. OBI, R.U. (2003) “Determinants of Career Mobility of Women in Selected Banks in Benin City, Nigeria” Benin Journal of Social Sciences, Vol.12, No.1, June 225-250.
18. OBI, R.U. (2004) “Career Mobility of Women in the Steel Industry in Nigeria”. Sponsored Research Project of the University (URPC) University of Benin Library, 90pp.
19. OBI, R.U. (2004) “Methods in Social Research”. Sylva Publishers, 141pp, ISBN 978-34587-44.
20. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Socialization and Internalization”. Chapter 6 in Man and his Social Environment: A Text Book of Sociology (eds) K.A. Ogunbameru and W.R. Rotimi, Ibadan: Spectrum Books Limited, pp.101-117.
21. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Determinants of Career Mobility of Women in Brewery Industry in Benin City, Nigeria” Benin Journal of Social Sciences Vol.14, No.1, July 166-180.
22. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Combating child Trafficking in Nigeria”. International Journal of Development and Policy Studies, Vol. 2, No.1, 226-237.
23. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Child Trafficking, Deportation and Rehabilitation in Nigeria”. International Journal of Development and Policy Studies, Vol.2, No.1, 45-56.
24. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Implications of Socio-Cultural Stereotypes on Career Prospects of Women in Guinness Benin Brewery, Nigeria” International Journal of Development and Policy Studies Vol.1, No.1, 353-377.
25. OBI, R.U. (2006) “Role of Women in Selected Banks in Benin City Nigeria”. Knowledge Review: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal Vol.12, No.4, June, 60-71.
26. OBI, R.U. (2006) Area of Residence and Family Size: The Case of Ubulenu Village and Onitsha Urban” Knowledge Review: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal, Vol.12, No.3, May 143-148.
27. OBI, R.U. & Ibobor, S.O. (2008) “The Role of Social Works in Meeting the Millennium Development Goals in the Niger Delta of Nigeria”. Journal of Development Alternatives and Area Studies. Vol.27, Nos 1 &2, 195-207.
28. OBI, R.U. & S. Ofili Ibobor (2008) Child labour and Health Hazard in Nigeria. The Journal of Family Development Vol 3, 208-215.
29. OBI, R.U. (2010) Gender and Society. Lagos: Sylva Publishers, 214pp
30. OBI, R.U. (2010) “Retirement, Corruption and Development in Nigeria”. Journal of Family Development (JOFAD) Vol.4, No.3, September, 158-166.
31. OBI, R.U. (2010) “Effects of Socio-cultural Stereotypes on Career Prospects of Women in Steel Industry in Nigeria”. Knowledge Review: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal, Vol.21, No.1, December, 1-12.
32. OBI, R.U. (2010) “Comparative Analysis of Career Prospects of Workers in Steel Industry in Nigeria”. Approaches in International Journal of Research Development. Vol.2, No.2 September 138-148.
33. OBI, R.U. (2010) “Industrial Sociology and Labour Relations in Nigeria (Revised Edition)”, Lagos, Sylva Publishers, 435pp. ISBN 978-30935 2-5.
34. OBI, R.U. (2011) “Principles of Sociology, Rural and Community Development (Revised Edition)”. Lagos: Sylva Publishers.
35. OBI, R.U.(2011) “An Appraisal of Arbitration in Conflict Resolution in Nigeria’s Industrial Relations”. Mkar Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies, Vol.2, No.1, 159-169.
36. OBI, R.U. & Okabie, E. (2011). “Youth Unemployment and Related Socio-Economic Problems in Niger Delta Region of Nigeria”. Academic Scholarship Journal, Vol.4, No.15, November, 116-125.
37. OBI, R.U. & Iduh, B. (2011) “An Appraisal of Wages and Salary Structure in Nigeria” 1960-2011, Nigerian Journal of Research and Production (NIJOREP) Vol.19, No.1 November, 175-190.
38. OBI, R.U. (2011) “Reflecting on the Reading Culture of Students in Nigerian Universities”. Nigerian Journal of Curriculum and Instruction Vol.18, Bo.1, July, 120-124.
39. OBI, R.U. (2011) “Job Satisfaction in Industrial Organizations: Is it a Myth or a Truism?” Academic Scholarship Journal, Vol3, No.1, April 212-217.
40. OBI, R.U. (2011) “Exploitation of Labour and the Fifth Republic in Nigeria”. Multi-Disciplinary Journal of Academic Excellence Vol.4, No.1, September, 195-206.
41. OBI, R.U. (2011) “Implications of Water Pollution on the Health of the People: A Case Study of Patients in the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Nigeria”. Nigerian Journal of Research and Production (Nijorep) Vol. 19, No.2, November, 1-8.
42. OBI, R.U. (2011) “A Critical Analysis of Trade Unions (Amendment) Act 2005”, Approaches in International Journal of Research Development, Vol.5, No.1 December, 230-235.
43. OBI, R.U. & Bazunu, B.E. (2011) “Influence of Family Structure and Single Parenting on the Academic Performance of Students in the University of Benin, Benin City, Nigeria”. Multi-Disciplinary Journal of Academic Excellence Vol.5, No.1, December, 173-187.
44. OBI, R.U. & Esieboma, J. (2011). “Casualization of Labour: A Study of Contract Workers in Chevron Limited” (Escravos) Delta State. Approaches in International Journal of Research Development, Vol.4, No.1, April. 320-329.
45.OBI, R.U. & Isidahomen, M. (2012) “Industrial Conflict and Role of Arbitration in Conflict Resolution in Power Holding Company of Nigeria Plc (PHCN) Akpakpava, Benin City”. Benin Journal of Social Sciences, Vol.20, No.1, 366-277.
46.OBI, R.U. & Chukueku, C.I. (2012) “Gender Discrimination against Women in Politics in Boji-Boji Owa, Delta State” Knowledge Review: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal, Vol.24, No.1, 7-13
47.Ogie, E.E., Akhuetie, R.E., Dawodu, O.A., OBI, R.U. (2015) “Nurturing Gender Equality: Its Implication for National Development ILARD, International Journal of Sociology, Vol.1, No.4, 1-12 www.ilardonline.org.
48.OBI, R.U. (2016) Women in the Steel Industry in Nigeria Scholars Press, Omniscriptum: Saarbrucken, 71pp.
49.OBI, R.U. & Akhuetie, R.E. (2016) “Information Technology Education and Quality of Employers’ Work-life in Telecommunication Industry, Benin City, Nigeria” International Conference on Education, Development and Innovation (INCEDI) 2016. Edited Proceedings, August, Vol.1, No.1.
50.OBI, R.U. & Ikhazuangbe, M.R. (2016) “On-line Social Networking Education and Employee Performance in Seven-up Bottling Plant, Ibadan, Nigeria” International Conference on Education, Development and Innovation (INCEDI) 2016. Edited Proceedings. August, Vol.1, No.1.
51.OBI, R.U. (2017) “Development of Sociology and Anthropology in Nigeria Universities” Nigerian Sociological and Anthropological Students’ Association (NSASA) June, 1-11.
52.OBI, R.U. & Akaba, J. (2018) “Effects of Senior Academics’ Monitoring Junior Academics Career Growth in the University of Benin, Benin City”. Journal Article Publication Forthcoming.
53.OBI, R.U. (2018) ”Women in Nigerian Universities and Children in Diaspora: Attitudes, Culture Variations and Implications”. Journal Article Publication Forthcoming.
54.OBI, R.U. (2018) “Barriers to Academic Women Occupying Leadership Positions in Universities in Edo State, Nigeria”. Journal Article Publication Forthcoming